CSPO demand to rise on the account of EU’s impending food labelling rule, says Sime Darby
Posted on : 14 Jul, 2014
Certified Sustainable Palm Oil (CSPO) is expected to witness a rise in demand by at least 25% according to Sime Darby Bhd. The expected growth will be stimulated by European Union's food labelling rule that requires food manufacturers to specify the vegetable oil used in their food products and the rule is approaching its 2015 deadline.
CSPO will gain a competitive advantage with this rule because CSPO scores well on certified good agricultural practices, social responsibility and environmental engagement.
Sime Darby explains that although Europe drives the current demand for CSPO, it is only for palm stearin - the solid part of palm oil that is widely used in food products.
But palm stearin only represents 20% of the palm oil volume, while palm olein (the liquid form) represents the remaining 80%.
Indonesia to increase biodiesel consumption in 2014
Posted on : 28 May, 2014
Following a new blending regulation, Indonesia's biodiesel consumption is likely to rise in 2014, according to Indonesian Biofuel Producers Association (APROBI).
Malaysia to assist in palm oil plantations in coastal Sindh and Balochistan provinces of Pakistan
Posted on : 23 Apr, 2014
In a move towards boosting the palm oil production in Pakistan, the country is negotiating with the Federal Land Development Authority of Malaysia to seek assistance for a large-scale palm oil plantation in coastal areas of Sindh and Balochistan.
Currently, Pakistan spends millions of dollars on importing edible oil imports every year.
As much as 8,000 acres of land in Sindh and about an equivalent in Balochistan is planned to be brought under palm oil cultivation. The Pakistan Oilseed Development Board (PODB) is already working on importing the seedlings for the same.
Ministry of National Food Security and Research confirms that the coastal belt of Sindh and Balochistan are suitable areas for palm oil cultivation, given the favorable climate, water scarcity and extreme heat.
With the area least affected by monsoons and a low annual rainfall of about 25-50mm, the plantation business can benefit people living along the coast from Karachi to Gawadar.
In the past, there were many palm oil development projects in Pakistan. For instance, the Palm Oil Development Pilot Project launched by Pakistan Oilseed Development Board (PODB) in coastal areas of Sindh and Balochistan, the Palm Oil Development Project worth Rs.113.08 million on 12,000 acres plus a project on palm oil cultivation by government of Balochistan worth Rs.326.371 million.
To encourage cultivation, palm oil seedlings were provided at subsidized rates to growers and a loan of Rs 5,000 per acre to growers having palm oil plantation on their field was offered by Zarai Taraqiati Bank Limited (ZTBL).
CMT's 6th Palm Oil Asia Summit is coming to Jakarta on 13-14 August, 2014 to discuss more on the palm oil industry prospects in Asia.